Repurposed Dresser

I am really excited to share this DIY project with everyone.  I love this project because it is meaningful to me, plus it's a great thing to know as a fellow diy lover.  

It was important to me to incorporate this dresser into my house because it belonged to my grandpa.  Unfortunately, it did not match anything I owned.  I did some looking around in my house and I decided that the dresser would be a great addition to my office.  The drawers are great for storage, plus I could utilize the top as well.

Once I knew where the piece would live, I had to decide how I was going to repurpose it.  After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to paint it.  Before I show you the final result, here is a before.
(The picture is of the nightstand version, but identical in every other aspect.)


And now the after...


I started by removing all of the knobs.  Then, I primed the entire dresser and drawers with white primer using a wide foam brush.  Using a foam brush took longer, but I did not want any brush marks so it was worth the wait in the end.  Luckily, I only needed one coat of primer.  After that dried completely, I painted two coats of my green with a foam brush as well.  Remember the paint needs to dry fully in between coats for the smoothest finish.  Because I was going to really utilize the dresser, I gave the entire dresser a coat of polyurethane. 

Once the dresser was completed, I had to decide on drawer knobs.  I keep all of the leftovers from my DIY projects.  This is something to keep in mind if you have the storage space.  Because of this, I was able to use knobs from a previous project.  

Here are the knobs before... 


Before painting them, I lined all of the knobs together so I could maximize the spray paint.  It only took me one can of oil-rubbed bronze spray paint to cover all of the knobs for the dresser.


Other than the wait time for the paint to dry, this project didn't take me long and it is now my favorite piece of furniture.  You could complete this whole project in a weekend.  Not everyone has an extra dresser, but this is something that you could do to any piece of furniture.  This is such an important thing to keep in mind when you are wanting to make a few improvements and updates in your own home.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...